This page is a random selection of stories or memories of times in the Regiment, whether that was 2/15 Fd, 10 Mdm, 132 DivLoc, 2/10 Mdm, 2/10 Fd, 2/10 Lt Bty or 9 Regt. They may have been edited to protect the guilty.
The focus is on memories from current members to contribute to a history of the Victorian RAA since the start of the Army Reserve (or renaming from the Citizens Military Forces, or CMF) around 1975. There is a detailed article on this site looking at A Brief History of Artillery in Victoria. There is also a detailed Wikipedia page on the 2nd/10th Field Regiment that traces the units leading to 2/10 and through to 9 Regt RAA.
There are five unit-based pages:
- 132 DivLoc Bty – covering the time from the mid-70’s to the disbanding of 132.
- 2/15 Fd Regt – covering the time from formation in 1975 to the 1991 amalgamation, including 2Bty, 23 Bty and the beginning of 22 Bty
- 10 Mdm Regt – covering the time from the mid-70’s to the 1991 amalgamation, including 37 Bty, 39 Bty and the beginning of 38 Bty
- 2/10 Mdm and Fd Regts – covering the time from amalgamation in 1991, through the change to field guns, up to the regiment being disbanded in 2013
- 2/10 Lt Bty and 9 Regt – covering the time from the formation of 2/10 Lt Bty, under command of 5/6 RVR in 2013 through the raising of 9 Regt RAA with all the Reserve batteries in 2018 to today.
Below are the most recent posts across all pages.
- 23 Fd Bty Gunners Mess Visitors BookThe cleanup of the RAA Association Memorabilia Room at Chapel Street continues to unearth gems that need to be recorded digitally for posterity. Two I found were the 23 Fd Bty Gunners Mess Visitors Book and a RAA Association Flyer for a function at Baxter. This drink-stained leather bound book has seen better days, and … Read more
- 22 Bty Journal from 2003SGT Helen Janner passed on a copy of the 22 Bty Journal from 2003. It’s a great read. It can be found here
- Random Photo – 37 Mdm Bty Footy TeamIn response to my earlier post Random Photo – 23Bty Footy Team, Glenn Rabbas has shared the following photo from 37 Bty. From Glenn “around 1976 when 37 Mdm Bty thumped the pop gunners from Melbourne, back L-R Graeme Rabbas , Clem Laybourne, ? , Andrew Barrett, Bill Martin, John Beames, ?, ?, ?, ? … Read more
- Random Photo – 23Bty Footy TeamI came across this photo when we were cleaning up the Museum at Chapel St. It features a footy team at Baxter, and given the faces I’m assuming it was a 23 Bty team in an inter Bty comp (sometime in the early- to mid-80’s). There are some very young faces there! The faces identified … Read more
- Bty and Regt PlaquesThe topic of plaques for 2/10 Bty has come up this week. This discussion led to an exploration of the different plaques that have been in use by the units that led to 2/10 Bty 9 Regt. Following are examples of those we can find. Many of the Bty plaques featured a mascot. 2 Fd … Read more
- Memories of 2 Bty, Batman Ave (2/15 Fd Regt)I received the following from John Pereira from his time at 2 Bty when it was at Batman Ave, covering the period 1973-1979. The Bty moved to Dandenong around 1980-81. Some memories that come to mind: The loading of the Brig. Rossi CRA out of the Jarks Club windows on a number of occasions. As … Read more
- Memories from ARTEP Ex 93A few memories shared from Scott (Norm) Gallagher who was a FO Sig in 22 Bty in 1993. We were in EX at Pukka. I think it was the qualifying ex for the Mt Shanck trophy (ARTEP 93). We were just sig qualified and were on the hill had to dig a pit and have … Read more
- 4 Bde Ex at Tindall RAAF Base, 1994David Edwards, FO, 22 & 38 Combined Bty In Oct 1994 2/10 Mdm Regt participated as a combined battery (+ extras) in a 4 Brigade exercise at the Tindal RAAF base. In addition to our regiment, there were elements of 5/6 RVR, 8/9 RVR, 4/19 PWLH, the engineers and other units from Victoria. Our fortnight … Read more
- Regt Direct Shoot CompetitionDavid Edwards, YO, 23Bty Sometime in 1987, the regiment (2/15 Field Regiment) held a direct shoot competition at Pucka. From memory it was around Tehans Hill and involved lie rounds (obviously). It would have been in the middle of the year as we were all pretty rugged up. As one of the Bty LTs I … Read more
- Recollections of the Baxter DepotDavid Edwards, YO & GPO, 23 Bty I arrived at the Baxter Depot (23 Bty, 2/15 Fd Regt) as a young officer sometime around late 1986 or early 1987. The site looked very much like the school who’s grounds we shared. The depot was a replacement for the Bty after the old 15 Fd Regt … Read more